How to Apply for a Job
The following are some resources that will be helpful to you in applying for a job. These include steps to get your own e-mail address (if you don't already have one), suggestions for researching jobs and careers, a tool for helping you make a Resume, and a tool for practicing filling out a job application. Finally, there are links to various job search websites.
- Get an e-mail address.
You will need an e-mail address if you don't already have one. You can get one for free from Google or Yahoo.
- Go to Google Mail.
- Click on the red Create an Account button in the upper right.
- Fill out the form. The only required fields are your name, username, and password. You can leave the remaining fields blank, including the "Current email address" field. Once you complete the form, click the blue Next Step button.
- Confirm the information is correct and click the blue Next Step button.
- You now have a Google Mail account. You can use this account across all of the Google services like Google Docs, Picasa, Google Calendar, YouTube, and Google +.
- Go to Yahoo!.
- Click on the "Sign Up" link in the upper right of the page near the SIGN IN link.
- Fill out the form. All fields are required except the Alternate Email field. Once you complete the form, click the yellow Create My Account button.
- Confirm that the information is correct and click the yellow Continue button.
- You now have a Yahoo! account.
- Do your research.
There are many resources in the library that can help you research jobs and careers. A librarian can direct you to these resources. You can also search for information via a web search. Finally, the following resources may be helpful also.
- Create a resume.
It is very important to have a complete, concise, easy-to-read, truthful resume that summarizes your contact information, education, and work experience.
The Easy Resume Maker at Cypress Resume is a web-based application that will guide you through the process and allow you to publish your resume online for prospective employers to find and review.
- Practice filling out job applications.
Of course, applying for a job requires filling out a job application. It is important to provide accurate information, and answer the potential employer's questions intelligently. Try the practice job application provided by Stratford Library in Connecticut. None of the information is saved or made available to anybody, so it is a good opportunity to practice before filling out the real applications.
- Apply for a job!
You've prepared yourself; now it's time to apply for a job. The following are some websites that are helpful in searching for jobs (Wilkinsburg Public Library does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of any of the following. They are listed for your information.):