About the Wilkinsburg Public Library
The Wilkinsburg Public Library was founded in 1899 as a branch of the Braddock Library, the nation's first of the prestigious Carnegie Libraries. Throughout its years, the library has moved to several different locations, and in 1940 moved to its current location and became an independent community library funded by the Borough of Wilkinsburg.
The mission of the Wilkinsburg Public Library is to provide complimentary general circulation and reference service to adults, young adults and children.
For this purpose, the Wilkinsburg Public Library maintains an extensive collection of books, periodicals, newspapers, pamphlets, DVD's and Blu-ray discs, maps, microfilm, and clippings. Our archives contain both recent publications and stocks of older materials designed to further the knowledge, understanding, and tolerance that develop good citizenship; to serve the most vital interests of the community; and to provide the most extensive service that Library funds permit. In addition, public computer acces is available for adults and children.
To expand our services, the Eastridge Branch library opened in December, 2003. A smaller replication of the main library with the same objectives, this facility is located at the opposite end of the Borough of Wilkinsburg.
Today, the combined collection of the two libraries numbers over 50,000 books, magazines, DVD's, and electonic resources. The library continues to serve the people of Wilkinsburg and surrounding communities. As a member of the Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA), the library provides its patrons with access to the catalogs of the 44 ACLA member libraries' holdings.